Sunday, January 11

Crickets and a Nap

I always thought babies napped during the day. I always thought they needed sleep. It dawned on me today that Jack does not sleep during the day or much at night. (Althought the night is getting better.) Maybe for ten minutes in the afternoon, but that's it. I started getting a little concerned and then I thought, he had to learn to drink from a bottle, maybe he has to learn to nap as well. Below is a picture of him taking his first nap. He has been down since 1:45pm. Well, let me re-phrase that. He has been asleep since 1:45pm. He went to bed at 1:00pm. He was MAD at first and we had to listen to him fuss for a while. He would fuss for 5 minutes, then quite down for 5 minutes. This went on for a while. (I was standing off to the side, watching him, making sure he was o.k..) Then it was quite for about ten minutes and I peeped around the corner and what I saw broke my heart. My baby was all cried out! He was laying in his Pack-n- Play, staring out of our bedroom window. About ten minutes more and he was fast asleep. Listening to him cry breaks our heart, but I believe this was worse. I told John not to go look. I hope we will start to nap a little during the day and in a few weeks we can get in a routine.

One thing that has been helping him sleep are crickets! Yes, crickets! Matt Cummings has a sound machine and has been falling asleep to the sound of crickets for a year or so. Betty told me I had to get a sound machine. So after a rough night, I went to Wal-Mart and bought one. (I thought it was worth a try.) It plays a rainstorm, waterfall, the ocean and the great outdoors (the crickets). Guess what - he loves it! He can be fussy, I turn on his crickets and he starts to settle down. When he was fussing today, it dawned on me that I did not have his crickets on. I turned on his sound machine and he got quite. We have been sleeping with it on at night and it is helping. We feel like Swiss Family Robinson, but who cares. I'm even starting to get use to the little critters! Aunt Betty - you are a mad genius!


4 comments:

bettyb said...

Hi,Amanda,
I love all the new pictures of Jack,and he certainly looks older than he is~he also looks just like a boy!I had to chuckle at the pic.of him sleeping with his head between that wedge thing(don't know what you call it) I put Jacob down one day with it around his body!They weren't invented many yrs.ago,and I had no clue what to do with it.--lots of "new stuff" since Davis was a baby!!
You are doing great,and Jack is adorable.I don't see how you have time to update the blog,but I'm glad you do.
love,Betty Ward

Betty said...

Thank you, Amanda...just trial and error to find out works! I am glad Jack is enjoying his crickets. Actually Matt was Jack's age when we started with the sound machine. It is so nice to still have it to block out noise from the rest of the house. If i forget to turn it on, Matt always reminds me to turn his "crickets" on!

Davis and Suzanne said...

Amanda,
Jack is such a cute baby!!! We also used a sound machine for Jacob...still do. IT HELPS. Play is LOUD:)
He is a doll!!!

Suzanne

abbey said...

Amanda
Jack is sooo sweet! I love checking your blog to see what is going on with ya'll. The crying it out part is so hard, but it does eventually pay off. I had it to do with Ella and Austin. And, the sound machine is definitely a great idea. I used a fan in both Austin and Ella's room, in lieu of a sound machine..but it worked great too.. In fact, Ella is still sleeping with her fan. Take care.. you are doing a wonderful job it seems. Love and miss you..ab