Friday, February 6

8:00pm - The Witching Hour

Yes, that is John standing in our laundry room at 10:30 last night, feeding Jack - who is in his car seat, on the dryer, and the dryer is running full blast. One week ago tonight, and EVERY night since, at exactly 8:00, Jack has thrown an uncontrollable fit. He holds his breath, he stiffens his little body, he shakes his fist and he will not take a bottle. These fits last for two or more hours and he never lets up. They scare us more than they frustrate. Three times we have had to put him in the car and ride him around. The car ride doesn't put him to sleep, but it calms him enough that I can put him in his crib (beside our bed) and hold the pacifier in his mouth to keep him quite. Even then it is after midnight before he falls asleep. I have heard of other babies doing this. How long should we expect this to last? What have other people done? What can we do? I would love to hear from you. A bath does not work - by the way.

Oh, and if you see us out riding around late at night, please do not try to stop us to talk. Because yes, John and I both are in our pj's and house shoes. There is no time to get dressed!



2 comments:

Ashley & Stephen Bauch said...

Amanda,

Bless your heart-I'm so sorry he's having a tough time. Based on the fact that it's the same time every night and lasts about 2 hours or so, it sounds alot like colic. Some of the things to try are tight swaddling, lay him over your knees and rub his back (not real hard, just apply a little pressure), bicycle his legs when he's lying down, offer a pacifier, or what you've been doing-car rides and white noise.

Hope this helps and he feels better soon.

Davis and Suzanne said...

I know it is frusterating...and you feel so helpless for the little guy. It prob. is gas or a little reflux (our Dr. told us that they do not have to spit up to have reflux)
PRAYER helps.
Hopefully, it will just be a couple of weeks of this.