Monday, September 8

We Are McKenzie and Matt

Meet McKenzie & Matt Cummings, Jack's cousins "in our hearts"!
McKenzie Morrow Cummings
Age: 7
Birthday: July 10
Grade: 2nd
School: Kirk Academy
Favorite TV Show: Hannah Montana
Favorite Foods: Pizza and Spaghetti
Favorite Sports: Soccer
Favorite Class: Chapel
Favorite Color: Red
Pet: Max the Cat
Matthew David Cummings
Age: 2
Birthday: March 26
Hobbies: Playing any type of sports, especially baseball and eating
School: Mother's Morning Out @ the First United Methodist Church
Favorite TV Show: Caillou and Sports Center
Favorite Foods: Chicken, fries and sweet tea
Favorite Sports: Baseball, golf and basketball
Favorite Class: Sunday School
Pet: Max the Cat

McKenzie and Matt are the children of our very dear friends, and adopted family members, David & Betty Cummings. They were kind enough to adopt me when I moved to Grenada and are my family away from home.

Matt & McKenzie have been a huge part of our lives since the day they were born. The day Matt was born, John came in from turkey hunting to go with me to the hospital - enough said, I could just stop this post now. That's how special they are to us. The kids have been excellent practice for us over the last few years. I believe we are better prepared for Jack because of Betty's great advice and spending time with McKenzie & Matt.

I was so afraid to tell McKenzie I was pregnant. I made Betty tell her. I didn't want her to think she wouldn't be a very important part of my life any more. The day Betty told her, I was nervous and waited for the call. I just knew when I picked up it would be Betty telling me that McKenzie was upset. But when the call came, it was McKenzie and she was so excited! A new cousin was what she called Jack. I was very relieved. Then came the torment over the gender. McKenzie has been wanting a baby girl in the family for a while now, but all she gets are boys. Before the sonogram, she told me she would like for the baby to be a girl, but it was o.k. if it were a boy - because she knows how to handle baby boys. The day before the sonogram, I told McKenzie that she would be the very first person we told and to be by the phone that afternoon. As soon as we got out into the parking lot, we made the call. McKenzie answered the phone and I told her it was a boy. She was very excited for us, even though he wasn't a girl.

A day or two later, I was at their house for a visit and we were talking about Jack - their new cousin. McKenzie told me she knew they weren't real cousins, but they could be cousins in their hearts. That was the sweetest thing I had ever heard and Jack is so lucky to have Matt & McKenzie.

As for Matt, I don't think he fully understands what is going on. He says "Baby?" and he will say Jack every once in a while. He'll find out soon enough. Especially since Betty and I bought Matt and Jack matching outfits for next fall, and we plan to have their picture made together. John laughed about the matching outfits. He said Jack is going to think Matt is his brother. That's o.k. too.

So now you know Matt & McKenzie and we can't wait for Jack to get to know them as well!






1 comments:

Betty said...

Miss Amanda,

I love you and Jack, too. You are so special to my heart.

Love,

McKenzie